Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mind vs. Brain

So much about the last 3 months has been about enabling my mind to beat my brain. Fortunately my mind is winning. As my surgery date approaches (Dec 13), I would normally get anxious and worry about the outcomes. The certainty that I am doing the best I can to live a healthy and long life and the reassurance that I have the best support network I could ever wish for gives me the energy to barely worry.

I have been getting notes of support and prayers from people I don't know, and the people I know continue to surprise me and bring tears to my eyes with gestures that are simply incredible.

This week I met a new hero, someone of the stature of my little friend Max (Go Max), who with 2 years old faced a very tough battle and now inspires people in so many places. My new hero operated her brain with the same doctor that will operate me. Her prognostic was tougher as the tumor location affected speech, memory, logic and right side movement as it was large and located on the left side. I simply would never be able to tell what she went through. Today she teaches Marketing at the best MBA programs in Sao Paulo, 5 months ago she was talking to the surgeon as he carved her brain.

The experiences I have been gathering, the recognition of how many people care about me and the new way I look at things have definitely made me better. When I created this blog I included the number 20, to simbolize 2.0, a new and improved version of me. I can't believe how right I was. Family, friends and unkownn heroes all over the world who are fighting your own battles, God bless you.

8 comments:

  1. Patrick, Força meu amigo... Agora começa a nossa parte. Vamos rezer por ti. Abraços, Rogerio, Tatiana e meninas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,

    I met you when you ran the Heinz Case Competition at Tepper last year. I met Micah Keith on the bus this week and after I asked about you he told me about what has been going on in your life over the past few months.

    I went to your blog and am deeply encouraged by your attitude and perspective! I just wanted to extend my support to you all the way from Pittsburgh. The verse that your father quoted from King Solomon is one of my favorite in the Bible. I will pray for you and your doctors as your surgery approaches on December 13th.

    Again, your perspective on this has been inspiring to me and I want you to know that you left an impression on me as being a special person even in the limited time that I was around you.

    Nate Jackson
    Tepper School of Business | 2013

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick: I just learned from a mutual Heinz friend of the challenges you have been facing. I can't think of many people who would approach this chapter in their life with as much strength, positivity and grace as you. In a time of adversity, here you are providing us with comfort and inspiration! WOW, you are amazing!!! Sending prayers and positive thoughts from Pittsburgh to you and your entire family. For what it's worth, I am a firm believer in the power of a positive attitude and also know that your incredibly healthy lifestyle will only serve you well in the coming months. Your body is strong & your mind and attitude beautiful!! Know that many friends are pulling for you across the globe. Blessings to you Patrick!!
    Nicole Chaudet

    ReplyDelete
  4. vamos com tudo. dia 13 vai rolar um grande pensamento em massa por voce, pode ter certeza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick, the MtLCCC has you in our thoughts and prayers. You continue to amaze and inspire me. God bless you and your family. Carl

    ReplyDelete
  6. patrick, nossos pensamentos e sentimentos mais carinhosos e fortes estão com vc!!!!! sempre e dia 13 será mais forte ainda! te admiramos muito amigão!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Querido Patrick,

    Essa é uma decisão corajosa. Pode acreditar que dia 13 de dezembro seus amigos de Pittsburgh estarão orando e enviando aquela luz e aquela força pra voce, sua familia e seus médicos. Vou colocar um lembrete no Facebook naquele dia.
    Abraços saudosos a todos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patrick,

    I was with John Bennett the other day, and he told me your surgery is on 12/15. I just wanted you to know that my family is thinking about you and your family, and you will all be in our prayers. I know you are going to come through this with flying colors. If the “power of positive thinking” can make a difference, then you have nothing to worry about.

    Take Care,

    Craig Sharer

    ReplyDelete