Saturday, February 11, 2012

Might the Chemo Work!

Yesterday I got my first MRI clear enough to see what is left from my tumor. As expected I had a "contrasting" portion, leading the MRI doctor to write that the tumor is 1.2cm. A little more than I was hoping but a lot less than before my surgery. As I shared before it was leaving a bit of tumor or losing my left side movement. I haven't spoken to my doctor or onchologist yet, I have an appointment with my onchologist on Monday to discuss implications, but what I know is that my chemo is supposed to reduce this until it totally disapears, fingers crossed!
What is important is that I have been living a totally normal life, I am back to work and had a great kickstart (or I should say re-kickstart), went to my friends monthly Happy Hour (Clube do Rato!), to which a few members still resist to show up every once in a while to everyone's disappointment, and most importantly, closed a rental agreement and will finally live in my own house after nearly 9 months "camping" at my in-laws or parents. I really thank my parents and in-laws for opening their houses for a grown-up family, one more reason why I am always so positive, I have an amazing and supportive family.
On Wednesday, when I had my MRI, I ran into a few friends at the Hospital, something that is becoming a tradition, and this one was awesome. First a friend of mine that I hadn't seen since High School! He looked at me and asked "Patrick?". I recognized him immediately, he hadn't changed at all in the last 20 years, just like me :-)! He had been following my journey in a closer way than I expected, and by a huge coincidence his little brother suffered from a nervous system tumor on his hearing nerve. He removed it and is living a healthy life. As he approached me I was staring at a lady that I thought was identical to a Brazilian lady I met in Pittsburgh. She was at Pittsburgh for a lung transplant at UPMC and lived there for a while with her husband to recover from the procedure. For anyone that thinks a brain tumor is tough, watching her recover from a lung transplant gave me a new perspective. And for my amazement and delight it was her, healthy and energized, absolutely perfect from my point-of-view. And her husband, a great person with a great heart, who could not contain his emotions from seeing me. He had been following my story and witnessing in person how well I was certainly caught him by surprise. The happiness we got from each other certainly gave us a few extra years of life, and I look forward to seeing them more often. God bless the doctors that have helped us share these moments. But this is not about who has the worst condition, but about who can heal better, and I think we all tied in first place!
Life is good, looking forward to a renewed adult life with my wife and kids at our own house, as this chemo works its magic. I hope I can help people going through this enlighting but scary journey with brain tumor, and help others that can learn and get inspiration from us, as the clock is ticking for everybody and we must enjoy life at its fullest with our families and friends. We don't choose what comes at us but we choose how we react - let's always react optimisticaly, positively and leaving a smile on the faces of those we see.

1 comment:

  1. Patrick, sigo aqui na torcida por você e feliz com os resultados positivos de sua recuperação. Fé em Deus e gosto pela vida com sua família, pois tens o que há de mais importante sempre ao seu lado: o amor dos seus. Vamos virar esse jogo e botar pra quebrar, meu amigo!!

    Forte abraço!
    Adriano Berger

    ReplyDelete