Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Human Experiment - Exercising During Chemo

One of the most important things I learned is how little we know about brain tumors. The more I read about it the more conflicting information about what can and can't be done during treatment I find. One of the most frustrating ones relates to exercising during glioma treatment.
While most neuro-surgeons say no to exercise as it might induce seizures, onchologists encourage exercising for various reasons. I therefore decided to become an experiment to validate or not which route to take. With a sample size of one this might not be statistically significant but hey, someone has to start. If someone wants to join this experiment please sign-up to my self-serving clinical trial.
This week I am on chemo treatment and decided to exercise, completing my first 10K run on Tuesday in under 50 minutes, my old training pace. I signed up for a 10K race in 3 weeks and kept thinking of how emotional I might become when I cross the finish line, but in a much less glamorous fashion I ran 10K on the treadmill and was just as happy to finish.
If biking was my great feat a few weeks ago, I added running to the list. To make it even more exciting my wife was just as excited with my accomplishment, which made me twice as happy.
In 3 weeks I have an MRI, I hope combining exercise and chemo might work. It seemed to work for Lance Armstrong, why not follow his lead? Once again he set the standard and won Ironman 70.3 Florida.
What an example to be followed! Mental toughness, sense of purpose, goal setting, planning ability and lack of fear, this seems to be a decent recipe for success if I could summarize what I see in Lance.
Regardless of what we accomplish we should strive to chase our dreams, and mine is still to finish an Ironman when I turn 40, no matter what I face along the way. To accomplish big things we need to have big dreams, and this is my big one. I hope this makes you dream big too and chase your dreams, wether just a 10K run to trully changing the world through your unique talent. God has given every one of us a gift, find what is your gift and use it. If you don't know what is your gift keep experimenting, I am sure you will find it!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I finished in 56 minutes, I ran with a friend and he slowed me down :-). I've been feeling progressively better, check-out www.wecanrunwithglioma.blogspot.com with my latest accomplishments.

      Delete