Thursday, June 18, 2015

Tumor is Back

And somehow my tumor found a way to grow back. I am already beating the statistics for survival time in a grade 3 glioma and as expected, in this race against time, science found a new way to help.
I was diagnosed on May 27 2015 again, nearly 4 years after my first diagnose, and in less than 1 week I was able to get support from my full medical angels to decide on a treatment path.
As soon as I was diagnosed my neuro-oncologist suggested a biopsy to determine the genetic mutations of my tumor and precisely determine its grade.Given the MRI image and my history we agreed that the likelihood of it turning into a gliobastoma was low so I started a new chemo protocol with PCV - procarbazine, CCNU and vincrystine.
After my first cycle I am happy to share that I've had no side effects and in fact I was able to bike for 56 miles 8 days after my vincrystine injection.
I am blessed to have an amazing medical team, the best science at my disposal and a very supportive family to travel this journey with me.
Step 1 was accomplished, I bought enough time to be able to adopt a new, better chemo treatment protocol, and if this is not enough I will start radiotherapy in December.
As crazy as it sounds I was not phased at all by the tumor recurrence, knowing that I did not have to operate the tumor again and finding it while it is still small shows that I will need to stay vigilant forever because it is always better to be safe than sorry. The only additional anxiety point was my potential reaction to chemo but apparently my body once again shows it can take it, I suppose all these years taking care of myself are paying out.
Wish me luck and say a prayer if you read this!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Patrick , hope you are doing well. Sending a prayer and a big hug of hope your way.

    ReplyDelete