Friday, August 12, 2011

First Treatment Decision

Today I spoke again to the surgeon that saw me at the hospital. He asked for a tractography of my brain, a really neat image to start planning my surgery.
I shared my concern of having surgery since the only guaranteed way to improve my prognostic through surgery is to remove at least 95% of the tumor, and all doctors agreed that this would bring a very high risk of leaving me paralyzed on the left side. He agreed and shared that the risk was very real but that this is a very personal decision.
I shared that since I am feeling great and didn't have seizures since the one I had on day one I would rather wait and manage the tumor through frequent MRIs until it becomes obvious that I need surgery. He said that as long as I am comfortable, waiting is the best option.
So I scheduled another MRI for September 12th. Stay posted and keep praying and sending me positive thoughts. In the meantime I am determined to melt this thing by channeling all the energy I am getting from my family and friends and keeping my pre glioma routine as best as I can.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Brother,
    There is plenty of positive energy coming from Pittsburgh too! It sounds like "watchful waiting" is definitely the best option at the moment
    Gripp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,

    Estamos todos aqui na torcida e confiantes de que o resultado de toda esta experiencia sera’ super positivo. Quem disse que a vida e’ feita somente de flores? Se assim fosse, a forca do ser humano de quebrar/podar/destruir/vencer os espinhos nao seria tao eficaz:)

    A sua historia comove.

    A sua atitude inspira.

    A sua determinacao transborda.

    Muita luz e tranquilidade sempre!! Vc, a Livia e as ccas estao sempre nas nossas oracoes!

    Bj enorme,

    Ana Paula e Randy

    A passagem abaixo nos lembra vc:

    "Bom mesmo é ir a luta com determinação, abraçar
    a vida com paixão, perder
    com classe e vencer com ousadia,
    pois o triunfo pertence a quem se atreve...
    A vida é muita para ser
    insignificante".

    Charles Chaplin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esqueci de dizer: Feliz dia dos pais!!!

    Por morar aqui, esta data nao registra;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great to hear that you take a very rational approach to take a decision. You have all our support and energy to burn this thing down...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick,

    Tô vendo que tá vindo energia positiva dos quatro cantos do planeta pra você! Então mandamos mais um container de energia daqui do quinto canto :)
    Você é um cara iluminado, cuja alegria contagia todos à sua volta! Sempre lembro da noite de piadas na pizzaria num dos InterUSPs... Sensacional!
    Um grande abraço e muita força pra você!

    Pinto, Muli, Limeira e toda a galera downunder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick - know that all of us here in the US are thinking of you and sending thoughts and prayers your way! Hang in there - wishing you sunny days ahead!

    ReplyDelete