Thursday, January 5, 2012

Met my Onchologist - Here Comes Chemo

Yesterday, Jan 4, was a very special day. I met some friends from high school for lunch, some of which I had not seen since we graduated in 1991. It was so fun to relive our teenage days, talk about the different paths we all  took in life, and to feel that the last time we were together was only a few weeks ago. Our bonds were so strong, but once broken they didn't't take much to regenerate. It was a very special and memorable day, one of those that we should all have at least once a month.

The restaurant was about 5K away from Livia's parents house, where I was going next, so I decided to walk back. It was really warm, but I walked across Parque Ibirapuera and got home safe, sound and in time to leave to my first onchologist  appointment. Things could not have gone better.

The chemistry between us was great, we openly discussed everything I've been through so far. To my delight he shared that I will not need radiotherapy! Huge news, as sometimes radiotherapy can affect the healthy tissue in the brain. He shared that even if I needed it I should not be scared, the side effects are debatable.

My adjuvant treatment will consist, as expected, of 7-12 cycles of Temodal, a chemotherapy drug that in most cases the body can handle fairly well, with moderate but manageable side effects. Most likely I will be able to live a completely normal life during chemo!


One cycle for me will consist of 4 Temodal pills per day taken for 5 days, and 3 weeks resting (no pills). He shared cases of patients that simply have no side effects, particulalry younger ones (and yes, I am medically young!) making it sound almost like Tylenol. I hope that I am in this group, but regardless the most important thing is to eliminate all the left-over tumor from my brain, and I am ready to do whatever it takes.

Please keep the prayers and positive thoughts and messages coming. I can't tell you how important these have been throughout my journey, and for that I will continue to share the outcome of everything that happens to me and what's to come. 

You have all been part of this with me. thanks for everything. This is not my battle anymore, this is ours, and we are winning. I am feeling better day after day, my stitches are nearly gone, so my headache is nearly gone, and I am almost able to sleep on my right side again, which is great. We still have a bit to do, but with the magic formula for success - optimism, perseverance and a constant smile on our faces - we will win.

HAPPY 2012!

Patrick

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All sounds great! Keep that incredible spirit! Many hugs and lots of love to Uncle Patrick and Dinda Liva from the Zgurzynskis

    ReplyDelete