Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Miracle

Interesting that the best Christmas of my life followed a brain surgery to fight a tumor and a tough but inspiring year. I would have never guessed, even in my wildest dream, that I could take 75cc of brain tissue (95% of the tumor!) and 11 days later hop on a plane, with my physical and intellectual abilities intact, and show up to surprise my daughters dressed up as Santa Claus for a surprise appearence on the night of Dec 24th.


I never felt so blessed in my life. The peace that seeing my girls gave me was incredible, they are an endless source of peace, energy and inspiration.
Speaking of energy, today was the first time I got up since my surgery feeling like I wanted to do everything (hence the blog update), I had a ton of energy. I wanted to run the 10 miles between my in-laws house and my parents house, but my doctors yesterday were quick to slow me down regarding physical activity as my brain is still recuperating from the surgery. I will slowly get there. But the source of all this energy came from a single thought when I got up. A turning point after I was diagnosed with my tumor was when I woke-up one day and thanked God for being alive. I might not have been imortal as I originally felt, but I was still alive.
For the last 17 days getting out of bed has been a struggle. I am not sure if due to the pain in my head from the surgery, but I have not been sleeping very well, I have not been waking up fully rested. Today I opened my eyes and thought "hurry-up, the clock is ticking, enjoy life while you have it!". What's so wild about this thought is that it applies to every one of us, but it gave me the boost I needed to feel like I am not in recovery mode, I am in life mode and will live intensely until the end of my tenure on Earth. I invite you to do the same.
I shared a few notes with a friend who highlighted the number of bad things that happened in 2011 to so many dear friends (I suppose my brain tumor could go in this list). The bad things put the good ones in perspective. May all of us have the presence of spirit to recognize the number of great things that happen everyday around us, and if great things are not happening may all of us be an endless source of joy, inspiration, positive energy and love to help us advance life, happiness and the power of the Human Spirit. I hope we can all face adversity with a big smile and show the world that life is what we make out of it, and nothing will slow us down.
May all of us have a great 2012 with plenty of health, peace, love, accomplishments and reasons to celebrate.
God bless you,
Patrick

2 comments:

  1. Dear Patrick, it has being a while but I have being following your blog since July, It really gives me the chills and some happy tears, I am confident that everything will be great, Luis Miguel & I wish you the best,,,, lots of good times in Pittsburgh.. Sincerely, Carlos de la Garza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick- you continue to spread an amazing sense of joy and hope for a beautiful life to everyone you know by sharing you amazing spirit. I continue to be thrilled by your progress In battling this tumor and wish you and your family endless joy and happiness in 2012!
    Con mucho carino,
    Kristen Clark

    ReplyDelete