Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Beginning

On July 9th 2011 I was at the airport on my way to Pittsburgh when I started feeling numbness on my hands and feet, and lost control of my breathing pace (I thought I was having a heart attack). I got up to wash my face, last thing I remember - I woke up in the Airport Ambulance, found out I had a seizure and was on my way to the Hospital (Hospital Geral de Guarulhos).
Had a taste of what people without means go through to get healthcare in Brazil, and what unknown heroes (nurses, doctors and others) go through to try to help significantly more people than what a Hospital of that size can support. Everybody did their best to help me, I felt really calm there, but I seemed to be the only one comfortable in there. After a few hours (around 3 AM) the doctor finally showed up and shared the results of a brain tomography. He recommended that we immediately go to another hospital to get an MRI - he suspected I had something in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment